Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Another day, another wet pair of trousers.

I'm sure I was going to post this news on my blog anyway, but now that Mom sent the family an e-mail announcing it, it would appear the moment is now...

So, this film I've been working on. It's been tossed around and handled by various people coming from very impressive project experience, like Avatar, Chronicles of Narnia, and of course Lord of the Rings. As far as music is concerned, up until yesterday I didn't expect to be involved much further than trailer spots or featurettes. (behind the scenes type stuff) But I had a conversation with the producer yesterday who told me that Michael Giacchino had been chatting with their director and that they were considering using him. For those of you unfamiliar with his work, he did the music for the series LOST, as well as every Pixar movie, with his latest movie Up winning him an oscar. He's the real deal. So then Zach (the producer) showed the director a sampling of the music I've composed for the film and he was impressed. He asked Zach who composed it and after hearing my name he said "Hm. Never heard of him." Which I found hilarious.

So that was yesterday. Today, he called me while I was at work to tell me that he thought I ought to know that as he had discussed the possibility with the directors and other filmmakers, they have decided to consider me for the actual score of the film, alongside the aforementioned Michael Giacchino, as well as Hans Zimmer. I'll say it again... Hans Zimmer. If you don't know who that is... think of the following movies: Crimson Tide, The Lion King, Prince of Egypt, Gladiator, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Pirates of the Caribbean (2 and 3), The Da Vinci Code, Inception, just to name a few.

As of right now, I don't know how it will play out. I find it pointless to state how excited I am with the notion of working with those two people, or even having my name and theirs used in the same discussion. I definitely will keep you posted. I also wish I could tell you how awesome this movie is going to be, regardless of whether or not I help make it.

Until more!

Keaton

6 comments:

  1. I think I'm going to pee MY pants!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i knew it was only a matter of time, mom. Don't worry, we won't put you in a nursing home. maybe you could live in one of Hans Zimmers backup homes once keaton is in tight with him. Congrats, Keats! That sounds very promising. I can't wait to go to a movie and make all my friends wait until your name comes rolling in the credits!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah! Wow, this is some impressive news! Congratulations man! No matter what happens, you are in the game now; you're legit...keep me updated, I can't wait to hear more!

    I agree at the hilarity of "Hm, never heard of him..." I lol'd. However, it looks like that could be not so outlandish a question in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very very cool, Skeeks! Congratulations! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heartiest congratulations, my boy! Since I'm old now I will give you some counsel. Both of those composers were once where you are now and both of them understand both talent and insecurity. Talent is real, insecurity is an illusion the mind throws in front of us to keep from being embarrassed if it fails. You won't fail because you won't depend upon your mind, but on your heart, and your heart is even more beautiful than any music you have yet written. You belong with the giants because you are one of them in the making. Laugh a lot, love the work and enjoy the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm totally not going to post about my job for like a week so as not to be overshadowed by my little brother! Zimmer's my favorite! You didn't even mention Black Hawk Down, I put that soundtrack on when I'm running or punching someone. I wish you all the best, and be sure to wear a diaper if you actually meet those guys. Peeing your pants doesn't make a good first impression.

    ReplyDelete